Flooding can happen at any time of the year, affecting your home or business. We understand that here at SP Energy Networks, which is why we have detailed some helpful advice below should your property be affected by a flood.
Above all, when it comes to flooding and your power supply, please use extreme caution - if in doubt, always get professional advice.
Should you need to contact us, you can do so quickly and easily using the following emergency numbers:
Central & Southern Scotland
Cheshire, Merseyside, N. Wales & N.Shropshire
|From a landline:
0800 092 9290
|From a landline:
0800 001 5400
During a Flood
- If water is about to enter your property, turn off your electricity supply via your isolator switch or fuse unit but only if safe to do so.
- If you are at all unsure, please contact your insurer or a qualified electrician for advice.
- Do not touch any electrical appliances, cables or equipment whilst you are standing in flood water.
- Do not touch any electrical appliances, cables or equipment that has been immersed in flood water.
After a Flood
- If water has entered your property and your electricity supply is off (or partly off), check your fuses and trip switches but only if safe to do so.
- If they have operated, you must get professional advice from a qualified electrician. Your insurance company may be able to provide you with the names and contact details of suitable companies.
- If your fuses or trip switches have not operated and your electricity supply is off, please contact us on the emergency number above.
- If your electricity meter has been under water, please keep away from the equipment and contact us on the emergency number above. We will then arrange a safety visit to your property.
Fuse units and trip switches are usually near to your meter, while electricity meters may be inside your property or within a meter cabinet outside your property. The picture below shows a standard meter cabinet, for reference.
Priority Services for Customers with Special Needs During Power Loss
Rely on electricity for medical equipment or have other special needs? We keep a Priority Services Register, so that we can contact our most vulnerable customers if they do experience a power loss.
You can be included in our register if you:
- Are dependent on medical equipment
- Are chronically sick
- Are disabled
- Have other special needs you would like us to consider
If you meet this criteria and would like to take advantage of this service, please click here or phone us on 0330 1010 444.
Looking after Your Health During a Power Cut
Your local hospital should be contacted immediately in the event of an emergency.
The National Flood Forum
The National Flood Forum is a national charity dedicated to supporting and representing communities and individuals at risk of flooding. For more information about The National Flood Forum click here.