Select Language:

ScottishPower |

Gaining Authorisation to SPEN

In order to gain authorisation to SP Energy Networks to complete contestable jointing work on the ScottishPower networks, you must complete the following process.

Below, we have detailed the process and included some helpful guides.

Gaining Authorisation chart

Authorisation Process

All requests for authorisation are via an Appendix 9 authorisation request form.

The links below show the sections that need to be completed on the form:

The actual form can be found on our Competition in Connections section, within the document OPSAF-13-001.

If you are a new Independent Connection Provider (ICP) who has never applied before, you are required to complete an ICP registration form.

Once complete, it should be returned, along with the supporting evidence, to Nigel Evans, Senior Engineering Compliance Consultant at

Supporting Evidence

The additional information required to support your application for authorisation includes:

  • CV
  • Training Records
  • Safety Passport
  • Basic First Aid Certificate, if applicable.
  • Copy of existing and previous authorisation certification for other Network Operators.
  • Current JCAR (jointing competency assessment report) for range of joints and cable types to be worked on.
  • Where applicable, confirmation of attendance at any SP jointing re-train courses.

For former ScottishPower employees, we require:

  • Provision of their previous personnel number
  • Provision of their previous authorisation categories e.g. WL1. Dependant on timescales, it may be necessary for the individuals to attend a re-training course or have a JCAR assessment to bring them up to the standard of the current jointing kits.

To arrange JCAR assessment or retraining on specific jointing kits, contact Learning and Development (L&D) on 0141 614 9980.


Please specify the activities you wish to carry out and at what voltage level.
For example:

  • HV jointing
  • Underground substation installation
  • Service jointing, metered on site
  • Mains jointing

Do you hold a current JCAR for the works you are requesting?

Applicants who have never held SP authorisations, have an expired authorisation, or are requesting additional levels of authorisation, will be required to attend an appropriate authorisation interview. All jointers will need to complete a trade test (JCAR) for jointing work, which includes the live jointing aspects, as well as operating SP systems.


The compliance consultant will review your application and forward it to SP Compliance.

Once the Compliance department has authorised the application, the training request is submitted to our Learning & Development team. The applicant’s company is emailed with the details of the required courses to book via the L&D Online Booking System.

Where there is no availability or the available dates are beyond the project commencement, you should contact L&D.