This is the most ambitious plan we have ever built, informed by over 15,000 engagements with customers and stakeholders.
It’s also, perhaps the most important plan we have ever produced, developed at a time of profound change. The challenge that will touch every part of our society is to halt the effects of climate change. To do this, we need to achieve Net Zero carbon emissions.
Our electricity distribution system will face the biggest changes to its design and operation for over half a century. Distribution networks were designed for predictable, stable demand. With Net Zero, electricity demand, generation, and consumer behaviour, will all change. Our networks are the product of a century of incremental evolution, and the opportunities from new technology and innovation will lead to a consumer-led revolution in the use and operation of our system.
In over 30 years of my career in this industry, I have witnessed an enormous amount of change across the full value chain of the electricity sector. The decades since privatisation have delivered huge improvements in service to our customers, and I’m proud to lead a business that continues to push the boundaries. But I see greater change, and greater opportunity, ahead.
This is a challenging, but exciting time. In RIIO-ED2 we have the opportunity to re-think our approach to the grid and unlock greater value for our customers. We have the opportunity to evolve our role from an essential service provider to a trusted partner for our communities. And we have the opportunity to lead by example to a truly sustainable future.
I look forward to seeing what we can do together.
CEO, SP Energy Networks
It's important to us that this plan is accessible to many different audiences. This covers many complex, interrelated topics.
You can download a copy of our draft plan
You can also download a copy of our draft RIIO-ED2 commitments
We've structured the core of this document around our strategy for RIIO-ED2 to provide a consistent approach to discussing our plan:
- Chapter 1 is a welcome and introduction.
- In Chapter 2 we begin with an overview of our approach to co-creating of our business plan through engagement, including the independent challenge provided by our Customer Engagement Group (CEG).
- In Chapter 3 we summarise our strategy for RIIO-ED2, which we have built on the basis of three pillars, which are aligned to the nine priorities of our customers and stakeholders. We also outline the importance of Innovation and provide an overview of how our plans will ensure a just transition.
- Chapter 4 is the most extensive section of the document, as here we detail our plans in line with each of our nine pillars. This follows the same structure as our RIIO-ED2 strategy, using the three pillars and nine priorities to discuss our plans. Under each priority, you will also see reference to our engagement and our commitments. Chapter 5 provides a detailed breakdown of our expenditure, how we will manage uncertainty, how we will embrace the regulatory framework, and our fi nance proposals. We also summarise our proposals for bespoke Output Delivery Incentives (ODIs) and Consumer Value Propositions (CVPs).
- In Chapter 6 and Chapter 7 we describe how we will deliver our plan, and provide an overview of the assurance and governance framework that has underpinned our development of the plan.
- In Chapter 8, we describe our strategy for ongoing engagement, to ensure that we embed stakeholder engagement throughout our journey in RIIO-ED2. We end on some final words from our CEO and offer an invitation for you to #ChallengeOurPlan.
We’ve put the needs and ambitions of our customers and stakeholders at the centre of our decision making. Over 15,000 customers and stakeholders have helped us shape our plan so far. But we’re not finished yet. Following publication of this plan we look forward to the next phase of engagement and consultation ahead of our final plan in December.
We'd like to thank all our customers and stakeholders that have engaged with us in the development of our draft RIIO-ED2 Business Plan so far. It’s important that all voices are heard in this time of change. Your time and contributions have been vital to this process, and we hope that you will support us in further consultation as we refi ne this plan for its final submission in December.
You can tell us what you think of our draft RIIO-ED2 Business Plan by completing our online consultation.
We’ll use everything you tell us to strengthen our plan before final submission, and we look forward to hearing from you soon.