VISOR (Visualisation of Real Time System Dynamics using Enhanced Monitoring) is a ground breaking collaboration project improving the visibility of dynamic system behaviour and enhancing network resilience whilst delivering savings to customers.
VISOR is the flagship collaborative Network Innovation Competition (NIC) project between system designers, operators, developers and researchers which successfully demonstrated the first Wide Area Monitoring System (WAMS) nationwide IT infrastructure. The state-of-the-art system monitoring has been deployed across GB. This revolutionises the real-time monitoring of the GB system by combining synchronised measurements from all three GB TOs to provide GB-wide real-time visibility of the dynamic system behaviour of the network. As VISOR continues to improve visibility and understanding of the network, it will allow us to get more from existing electricity network assets, and ensure the system remains reliable as the network continues to become more diverse.
January 2014 – December 2017
- Play a role in reducing uncertainty of electricity supply by providing synchronised monitoring and instantaneous operating points. This will improve system models and operation.
- VISOR has established a new infrastructure to ensure that potential threats are detected and the electricity system remains secure.
- By improving understanding of the dynamic behaviour, it will provide the System Operator with the means to optimise the full capacity and deliver further capacity release using existing assets.
- VISOR has allowed operators to optimise existing assets without deteriorating the reliability of electricity supply.
- Through using existing assets, VISOR is helping to keep the costs low for enhancing the electricity infrastructure.
- VISOR paves the way for the future use of phasor data for enhanced control and protection.
VISOR is a collaboration project between the three mainland GB Transmission Owners (TOs) and the System Operator:
- SP Transmission
- Scottish Hydro Electric Transmission
- National Grid Electricity Transmission
- National Grid System Operator
Our other project partners:
- University of Manchester
- GE Grid Solutions
Reports & Documents
Reports & Documents
Project Progress Reports